This is a rather brief post.
I popped a photograph on Twitter the other evening which sparked some interest.
This was what started it all and so here is the recipe.
I made it up as I went along but used my basic understanding of bread-making.
SPELT BREAD WITH CHIA SEEDS & MOLASSES.
1Kg Spelt flour
1/3 cup Chia Seeds
An interesting dollop of molasses (black treacle will do but not as healthy!)
3-4 teaspn Himalayan salt
Dried yeast, make up according to pkt instructions
1pint+ warm water
1. Pop flour, salt and chia seeds into a mixing bowl.
2. Make up yeast mix as instructed on tin/packet.
3. Pour warm water into yeast mix and stir in molasses.
4. Add yeast/water to the dry ingredients and knead well to form a ball of dough.
5. Cover the bowl with a cloth and leave to rise.
6. When doubled in volume place the dough on a floured surface and knead well.
7. Form into 2 loaves and pop in oiled loaf tins.
8. Bake at 180/350 for about 40mins. Depending on your oven you may decide to bake longer but with a lower temperature.
9. Cool and serve with butter and gorgeous honey…many other options may be tried!
Chia Seeds; have been around rather a long time ago but have recently been ‘rediscovered’. Around 3,500BC the Aztecs and the Mayan people began using this lovely little seed in a variety of ways.
They are thought as a ‘superfood in that they have maximum nutrients with minimal calories. They contain lots of fibre, omega fatty acids, calcium, antioxidants and protein.